I admit: Summer is not my favorite season.
Not when it’s so hot and humid there are heat warnings. When I dread the relief of thunderstorms because most all of them all summer have meant water in the house and power outages that keep us bailing our sump pump and spending the weekends at Home Depot trying to solve this water issue.
HOWEVER, determined not to overlook the gifts of summer, I started a list. After you read mine, will you add a few items of your own by commenting, please? Let’s not let ourselves fail to appreciate the abundant gifts specifically of summer.
Abundant Gifts of Summer
- fresh fruit: watermelon, ice cold on a summer day; cantaloupe, Michigan peaches, strawberries, and my favorite, blueberries–especially when picked fresh on an outing with a friend, or given to me by my son who thoughtfully bought 5 packages on sale because he knew they were my favorite fruit
- garden produce, especially zucchini (I make a mean Italian-style fried zucchini dish) and tomatoes (the only time to eat them is in season, in my opinion)
- flowers: the amazing variety of color and shape
- light before 6 a.m.
- air conditioning (a godsend when it works)
- warm gentle rains (I do remember one, anyway, that was lovely)
- the color green
- birds and their songs (I saw a bluebird–only the second time I’ve seen one in my life. He was gorgeous!)
- pools and lakes and oceans to swim in
And …? What particular gifts of summer are you thankful for?